Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Seedfolks & Characters

I recommend to anyone reading this blog who has not done the assigned readings for class to definitely do the Allen readings before the Seedfolks book.  The things that Allen discusses and clarifies in these two chapters became very apart and alive to me in Seedfolks.  The first aspect was about creating a character by "showing, not telling" (Allen, 2001).  Too many times in writings, especially writings done by nonprofessional authors, there is a common theme for the writer to directly tell the reader what the character is doing, how he or she looks, what clothes they are wearing in every scene, whether they like their coffee with cream or sugar, whether they are left handed or right handed, the list goes on and on.  A skilled writer will use aspects of language and scenery for the reader to feel connected to the character and form their own thoughts and conclusions about their lives not mentioned by the author.  It is a fine line authors walk when creating a character of giving just enough information away so that the reader sees aspects of this character as the author wants him or her to, but also not to put so much in the writing that the reader does not feel a sense of being connected to the character based on their own inferences.

This leads me to Seedfolks.  After reading the back cover and receiving out assignment today in class (being given a character to focus on with quotes he or she says), I jumped to the conclusion that there were, indeed, thirteen characters, but that the characters would not tell one story and be done, I thought I would hear their voice later in the book.  Yes, they sometimes showed up in other characters/voices sections, but their point of view was only given once.  When I was finished with the book I felt a connection to a number of the characters through people in my current life.  For instance, after reading Leona's story, I immediately connected some of her tactics with my mother's persistence of getting things done.  Even though my mom does not "... have two kids in a high school that has more guns than books...", she does know about getting things done and talking to the right people to make it happen (Fleischman, 2002).  And she is SO persistent.  I used to be extremely embarrassed about this as a child, but now I find myself doing it sometimes.  Furthermore, I think we all know someone like Virgil's dad: wanting to get rich quick and won't stop at anything to provide something better for his family.  This reminds me of so many dad's in America who would do anything to promote a better life for their family and children. Finally, my favorite character was Curtis, but then again, I think I am just a sucker for a good love story =)

My point is that through the readings of these characters, Fleischman did such a good job of leading me with just enough information that I could connect with each character while forming a relationship with them and someone in my own life.  In Allen's terms, he has mastered showing, without telling.        

2 comments:

  1. The first time I read Seedfolks I felt very disconnected to the characters because there was no big wrap-up in the end. I felt they remained separate from each other. I realize that it's not exactly true, but that's the feeling I got from the book the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige, I completely agree that Fleischman does an excellent job of showing, not telling. He really brings the characters to life through their voices, not just explanations of who they are. I felt like I understood them all fairly well because of his attention to voice, and I too, liked Curtis :) I'm always a sucker for a love story, so I got pretty excited that he was my character to focus on!

    ReplyDelete