For the literacy dig my team members and I went to a local grocery store at 10 o’clock in the morning to observe how this community hot spot incorporated literacy into the business.
I was in charge of point D: “Observing and recording vocabulary, written or spoken, that is unique to this place.” With that being said I kept my eyes and ears open for words and or phrases that would be considered foreign to people if they had never been in a grocery store. Literacy was everywhere in this store! Everywhere I looked there were vocabulary words that stuck out to me. As I walked up and down the aisles I noted phrases such as “saving spot,” which was a sale item, on certain foods that were on sale that day.
The place where I found the most vocabulary that would be deemed as unusual to an outsider was in the bakery/deli section. In the bakery there were phrases like “cookie cake” that might be understandable to Americans and people who shop in grocery stores, but to a foreigner, this concept might be considered weird. Is it a cookie or a cake? At the donut bar there were four large signs instructing people to “please use tissue.” Use a tissue for what? For shoppers who are familiar with grocery stores we know it is to pick up donuts, but for the first time shopping that might not be clear. They might think you use a tissue to blow your nose. Finally, in the deli section there is a “salad bar.” Americans know this is a place where people can make their own salads with ingredients they like. They can make it however big or however small as they want. But for the virgin shopper this phrase might be confusing. They might think of a “bar” as an actual rod or pole. And then how would that incorporate into a salad?
In the checkout lanes there were two phrases that are unique to a grocery store: “Do you have any coupons?” said by the cashier to the shopper, and “Paper or plastic?” said by the bagger to the shopper. I cannot think of any other place where these two phrases are commonly used. I think it is important to always ask “paper or plastic?” because some people might be environmentalists and prefer paper or even have brought their own bags from home.
Literacy is crucial in a grocery store. Shoppers who are on a tight budget need to know sale items and how much things cost. That is why there are prices on every item in the store. I also think nutrition labels are an important part of the store. For people who are on a diet or who have food allergies, reading the nutrition label and ingredient list on foods could be a matter of extreme health precaution. Finally, hanging from every ceiling is a sign that describes what types of foods are located in that particular aisle. This is essential for people to locate certain items they are looking for. A grocery store could be very confusing if you do not understand how it is laid out. It takes a lot of trial and error to get used to grocery store design, but by using literacy and the guides at the top of the aisles can make it easier. For example, my dad NEVER goes grocery shopping, but if my mom needs him to pick something up that she forgot she will have to remind him to look at the guidelines above all the aisles which tells you where certain foods are located.
This assignment was interesting to me because grocery shopping is honestly one of my favorite things to do. I have always enjoyed it as a little girl going with my mom, and now that I am living on own I also find it as a fun escape from my daily routine. So to go to a grocery and look for aspects of literacy instead of actually shopping was a whole new world to me. I, of course, knew that words were everywhere in groceries, but the way they can impact a shopper and even confuse a first time shopper where things I had never considered. This experience made me realize that literacy is more than simply reading from a book or magazine or writing my homework. It is all around us in daily life.
It sounds like your group picked a great place to make observations about literacy and vocabulary. I actually have never thought about how foreign people, who aren't fluent English speakers, find what they need at the store. It never occurred to me that a cookie might be misconstrued as cake or a biscuit, etc. The aisle labels must be confusing to them as well. The use of words at a grocery store is essential for the business and for consumers. Every food item is under a written category and each product, like you said, has ingredients listed on the back. The cashiers, stock workers, and customers are all talking and reading. I agree that literacy is all around us in daily life, especially at the store.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how I've been confused in foreign grocery stores but never really considered how important language is in the grocery stores of my own country! Now I guess I know why young children are so frequently bored in stores. They have nothing to read, poor things.
ReplyDeleteI really don't like to grocery shop, but now I'll look at the store a little differently the next time I go.
Paige, I'm with you on grocery shopping being a favorite activity, and your blog really made me think about the literacy involved in the whole process. I have to write my list before I even get there. Once in the store, I spend forever reading labels, going up and down aisles looking for sale signs, comparing prices, and since I nearly always do the self checkout, using literacy to determine through words and symbols the prices for non-scannable items such as produce. I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow - I think it will be a bit of a different experience after reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteI too hadn't considered how baffling a grocery store would be if I was not comfortable or familiar with the language. In one of the examples you noted the use of adjectival nouns (i.e., cookie-cake; salad bar), which can and do feel intuitive to a native speaker, but, as you mentioned, may be confusing otherwise. You also mentioned a sentence shortcuts with word omissions in the phrase "Please use tissue" -- not only does it not designate for what to use the tissue, but it is also ungrammatical and incomplete.
ReplyDeleteOut of curiosity, do you remember any non-word signs, symbols or store designs that might help some one to figure out their way around if, for instance, they never learned to read english at a high enough level?
Great observations! It is exciting to consider the possibilities of creating meaningful reading lessons. Kids could use a trip to the grocery store to practice what they are learning in school or collect information for a project at school.
ReplyDeleteI especially liked the observation of the word "bar". Salad Bar, Granola Bar, Bar of Soap... certainly confusing.