Thursday, September 23, 2010

Learn from a Pro

While reading more chapters in Crafting Writers by Elizabeth Hale, one point in particular stuck out to me.  On page 100 of chapter 7 there is an entire section on "Modeling with Published Literature."  I think this technique is such a great idea when teachers need to model an example of craft.  Being able to use a piece of literature well known to your class is key because they have to be familiar with the text in order to focus on the craft rather than the story itself.  Often times, I think, a child might not always be able to grasp the broad concept teachers are trying to get across to the class.  However, by projecting the craft through a well-known piece of writing children are able to see that professional writers use the same techniques their teachers are teaching them.  This could inspire them to be like a professional writer!


Furthermore, the next section after "Modeling with Published Literature" is about "Student Writing."  I really liked the idea of after introducing a published piece of literature to teach a craft is to show a piece of student's work from your class who has made strides to master that craft.  I think it is important for, hopefully, everyone to get a chance to be spotlighted.  This allows the students to feel a sense of pride for their writing and for the other student to work towards the goal of being the spotlight. In fifth grade my teacher has weekly writing assignments that were given to us on Monday and we had to turn them in on Friday.  He would give us a topic and we had to pay specific attention to the craft we had learned for that week in our writing.  Every Monday, before giving us the new topic, he would read an example of a great piece of writing done by one of our peers.  Every week I would strive to be the student whose work was read.  Finally it happened and I was so proud!

5 comments:

  1. I just want to say that I remember being the kid that wanted my work to be showcased. I was always pleased with myself when I was chosen to show my work to the class. It sparked even more hard work from me so I could do it again. Hopefully this pride with motivate students more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige - I love the modeling with literature. Its exactly like what we saw Mrs Seabrooke doing with "The Dot". It was so funny how her face and voice popped into my mind when I came to that part of Hale's writing. I knew exactly what I was going to read during that section because I'd already seen it for real. Still, its a great tool. I'm looking forward to practicing it with our Craft Lessons in Language Arts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paige, I totally agree with you on both accounts! If a student is able to master a technique from their favorite author, they may feel like they may realize that they actually are an author with the potential to become professional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the idea of modeling with literature as well. It just makes so much sense! I can totally see myself doing this. I really liked how you shared a real world experience of yours with us! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paige, I couldn't agree more. What better model to use than authors of books that children are familiar with and reading every day? This portion was phenomenal, and I feel like coupling a children's book with a craft lesson could be so powerful in the mind of a child. It gives them something to work toward; maybe they too could be a famous writer someday! I also liked how specific craft lessons allow teachers to showcase different writers' strengths in the class and not just the outstanding writers that everyone would anticipate.

    ReplyDelete